|"Your brother became a star." Regina believed in that so purely, that she would laugh innocently when saying it... Too innocently... I just couldn't stand it... No matter how hard I tried.|
Early life[edit | edit source]
Sean Dingling and his older brother Ken were abandoned by their parents when they were children. Russell Berry, the ringmaster of the Berry Big Circus, took them in and later employed them as acrobats. Ken and Sean became known as "Acro" and "Bat," respectively.
Bat developed a crush on the ringmaster's daughter, Regina Berry, and they would constantly play pranks on each other.
Accident[edit | edit source]
One day, Bat made a bet with Regina that if he successfully stuck his head into a lion's mouth, Regina would go on a date with him. Unfortunately, earlier that day, Regina had covered Bat's scarf with pepper to make him sneeze. Bat didn't sneeze, but when he stuck his head into the lion's mouth, the lion sneezed and bit Bat, critically wounding him. His older brother, Acro, tried to wrestle the lion off Bat, but was injured and became paralyzed in the process.
Bat remained in a coma, and Acro was confined to a wheelchair. Regina, being too naive to understand what really happened to Bat, quickly got over him and moved on. Angered at this, Acro devised a plan to kill her six months later, which resulted in her father's death instead. The resulting trial of one of the circus performers led to Acro's implication as the killer.
After Acro's conviction, Regina finally realized the seriousness of Bat's accident and vowed to stay by his bedside until he woke up.
Name[edit | edit source]
- "Kinoshita" likely comes from the "Kinoshita Dai Circus", a famous Japanese circus.
- Acro and Bat, the two brothers' English stage names, combine to form "acrobat".
- His English surname "Dingling" is likely a combination of the "Ringling Bros Circus" and "dangling", a reference to his job as an acrobat.
- His French surname "Loche" is likely a play on "cloche", meaning "bell" in French. This may be a reference to the English surname "Dingling".
Development[edit | edit source]
- Bat only appears in the court record and in-game dialogue, making him one of only two living named characters to date to have a court record profile but not make an appearance in-person, with Bruto Cadaverini being the other example of this.
Relationship with a minor[edit | edit source]
A significant aspect of the narrative of Turnabout Big Top is that the 16-year-old Regina Berry attracts the affections of three different adults, including Bat. There is very little detail about the specific nature of these relationships, even though a serious romantic relationship between Regina and any of these adults would qualify as pedophilia. Even without a romantic or sexual component, these relationships are examples of Regina being sheltered from the rest of the world and being taken advantage of as a result.