|Bobby Fulbright||Image Gallery|
- "Bobby" redirects here; you may be looking for the character Bobby Wolfe from the Kodansha Comics manga. You may also be looking for the phantom who impersonated Fulbright.
|My name? I'm Bobby Fulbright! The heroic detective who defends our good citizens from evil! The champion of justice who comes running whenever you're in need! And my catchphrase? It's "In justice we trust!"|
Bobby Fulbright was a hot-blooded detective with the catchphrase "In justice we trust!" He had evidently worked with Simon Blackquill many times and was paired up with him in court. The detective hoped to help the prosecutor redeem himself, and he seemed completely oblivious to the latter's attempts to manipulate him.
- Main article: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies
At some point during 2026, Detective Fulbright died via undisclosed circumstances (although it was heavily implied that he had been murdered), although no one would find out that he was actually deceased for a whole year as his body was unidentified at the time.
A mysterious international agent known only as "the phantom" took on the late detective's identity, meaning that the Fulbright that Phoenix Wright, Apollo Justice, and Athena Cykes met during their cases was this imposter. It would not be until the retrial of the UR-1 Incident that the real Fulbright's body was identified and his imposter brought to justice for the murders and bombings that he had performed while disguised as the justice-obsessed detective.
Fulbright was very enthusiastic about his work and had a very strong sense of justice. As a detective he was fairly competent and would rarely overlook anything important during an investigation. However, he would frequently get caught in a conundrum of "which justice is the most just?" when asked to take sides. Fulbright was put in charge of the convict prosecutor Simon Blackquill, although it would frequently seem the other way around, with Blackquill constantly ordering him around and referring to him as "Fool Bright". The detective didn't seem to notice or mind, however.
It should be noted that all that is known of Fulbright in terms of personality comes from the phantom's portrayal of him. However, since the spy himself would wish to mimic the original as closely as possible and lacked the normal range of emotions that a normal individual would have, it can be safely assumed that the personality of the imposter was almost identical to the real Fulbright.
- The kanji used for his Japanese surname "Ban" (番) is also used in the Japanese words for "watchdog" and "guard/sentry", referring to his imposter's occupation as Blackquill's guard.
- His Japanese given name "Gōzō" is made up of the kanji for "roar/thunder/boom/resound" (轟) and "three" (三), with the former reflecting his enthusiastic personality. Alternatively, "gou" could be interpreted as "bombing" (轟), which implies his imposter's culpability in the bombing of the HAT-1 rocket, HAT-2 rocket, and Courtroom No. 4.
- His full Japanese name, "Gozo Ban" (or "Ban Gōzō" if using the typical East Asian naming convention) may be a play on "bangō" (番号), which means "number in order". This fits with the remaining part of his name, "zō" (三; can also be pronounced as san), to form "number three". This could be a reference to Fulbright being the third main detective in the series, after Dick Gumshoe and Ema Skye.
- His English given name "Bobby" is a diminutive of "Robert", which means "bright with glory" (which fits with his surname of "Fulbright"). "Bobby" is also a British slang term for a police officer. Interestingly, the only other character in the Ace Attorney games to date to have the given name "Robert" was also impersonated by someone else after his death.
- "Fulbright" may have been chosen as his English surname simply so that Blackquill could refer to him as "Fool Bright", although it could also be taken as a reference to his bright and cheerful personality.
- When Fulbright is holding his fist upwards in anger, there is a symbol on his hand which looks similar to one of the symbols of Ace Attorney series — 4-end star with a different length of ends inside of a circle.
- Bobby Fulbright is the third of three characters in the series whose age was listed in the Court Record as older than the date of their death so as to avoid spoiling the fact that somebody else was impersonating them at the time. He shares this distinction with Ini Miney and Di-Jun Huang.
|Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies characters|
|Amazing Nine-Tails · Candice Arme · Aura Blackquill · Simon Blackquill · Sasha Buckler · Clonco · Yuri Cosmos · Constance Courte · Herman Crab · Athena Cykes · Metis Cykes · Norma DePlume · Miles Edgeworth · Maya Fey · Pearl Fey · Phineas Filch · Bobby Fulbright · Klavier Gavin · Judge · Apollo Justice · Azuki Kozo · Rex Kyubi · Florent L'Belle · Aristotle Means · Robin Newman · Nine-Tailed Fox · Hugh O'Conner · Gaspen Payne · Phantom · Ponco · Rifle · Marlon Rimes · Myriam Scuttlebutt · Jack Shipley · Ora Shipley the First · Orla Shipley · Sniper · Solomon Starbuck · Damian Tenma · Jinxie Tenma · Tenma Taro · Clay Terran · Ted Tonate · Juniper Woods · Phoenix Wright · Trucy Wright|