|This article contains information about Ace Attorney media that has been|
recently released and thus likely contains spoilers!
|manual of style when adding information.
Readers of this page should be aware that this article likely contains MAJOR SPOILERS concerning the media in question.
You have been warned!
The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve (大逆転裁判２ -成歩堂龍ノ介の覺悟-; lit. "Great Turnabout Trial 2: The Resolve of Ryūnosuke Naruhodō") is the eleventh installment of the Ace Attorney series of text adventure video games, originally released on the Nintendo 3DS in 2017. It is the second half of The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles for PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and PC, being the sequel to The Great Ace Attorney: Adventures. Like its predecessor, it is published by Capcom and directed by Shu Takumi, with Kazuya Nuri heading art and Yasumasa Kitagawa composing a large portion of the soundtrack. Its producer is Motohide Eshiro.
Five full-length episodes are available in the game, which follow the events of The Great Ace Attorney: Adventures. Instead of following the "The Adventure of..." naming scheme of the first game (which only the first case does), this game's episode naming scheme is based on the titles of the Sherlock Holmes short story compilations (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Memoirs..., The Return..., and His Last Bow).
- The Adventure of the Blossoming Attorney (弁護少女の覚醒と冒險; lit. "The Adventure and Awakening of the Maiden Attorney"): Two months after Susato Mikotoba's return to Japan following the events of The Adventure of the Unspeakable Story, one of her friends is put on trial for a murder that occurred at a beach house. She takes the defense's bench disguised as "Ryutaro Naruhodo" (成歩堂 龍太郎).
- The Memoirs of the Clouded Kokoro (吾輩と霧の夜の回想; lit. "The Memoir of the Foggy Night and I"): The day after his trial for the attempted murder of Olive Green, Soseki Natsume is accused of murder once again when a fellow lodger is fatally poisoned. Herlock Sholmes takes interest in the case due to Natsume's insistence that the apartment is cursed. Ryunosuke Naruhodo takes the case to court against Prosecutor Barok van Zieks.
- The Return of the Great Departed Soul (未来科学と亡霊の帰還; lit. "The Science of the Future and the Return of the Ghost"): During the Great Exhibition of London, scientist Albert Harebrayne is arrested when his experiment, a teleporter, ends up exploding, killing the man inside. Mael Stronghart has Ryunosuke Naruhodo investigate. Meanwhile, during a visit to a recently erected waxworks museum, a figure made by a famous sculptor is stolen.
- Twisted Karma and His Last Bow (ねじれた男と最後の挨拶; lit. "The Twisted Man and his Last Greeting"): While investigating a runaway husband and a scam group, detective Tobias Gregson is found dead and Barok van Zieks is arrested for his murder. Ryunosuke Naruhodo defends van Zieks against a familiar face.
- The Resolve of Ryunosuke Naruhodo (成歩堂龍ノ介の覺悟): A continuation of Twisted Karma and His Last Bow, the truth of the case that resulted in Gregson's death is brought to light along with a past case that deeply affected van Zieks, Asogi, and the whole British Empire. Mael Stronghart takes over as judge in this episode, and there is no jury.
Additionally, in the 3DS version of the game - like Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice before it - there are two short semi-canonical "what-if" scenarios available to those who pre-ordered the game, referred to as the Ace Attorney Theater.
- Asinine Attorney: Japan: Kazuma Asogi is the main playable character in a scenario involving Ryunosuke Naruhodo. Asogi is preparing to study abroad and faces off against Taketsuchi Auchi.
- Asinine Attorney: England: Herlock Sholmes is the main playable character in a scenario involving Barok van Zieks. Iris Wilson is arrested, so Sholmes acts as her defense attorney with Naruhodo as his assistant.
Due to being directly designed as a "Part 2" to Adventures rather than a standalone story, Resolve technically breaks some previously held conventions about the Ace Attorney franchise, most of which hinge on Resolve being a separate game. For example, some characters who appeared in Adventures become victims or culprits in Resolve.
- Ryunosuke Naruhodo (成歩堂 龍ノ介)
- Susato Mikotoba (御琴羽 寿沙都)
- Herlock Sholmes
- Iris Wilson (アイリス・ワトソン)
- Voiced by: Misaki Kuno (Japanese), Claire Morgan (English)
- Sholmes's assistant. A genius inventor and doctor who has invented rudimentary forensic instruments for use in Sholmes's investigations. She is the author of The Adventures of Herlock Sholmes. Takumi's familiarity with Arthur Conan Doyle's original Sherlock Holmes stories, and their various theories and parodies in particular, led him to create the Iris Wilson character.
- Barok van Zieks (バロック・バンジークス)
- Voiced by: Kenjiro Tsuda (Japanese), Robert Vernon (English)
- A "cursed" English prosecutor known colloquially as the "Reaper of the Bailey".
Other main story characters
- Soseki Natsume (夏目漱石) - A defendant from The Adventure of the Clouded Kokoro. He is a witness in episode 1 and the defendant of episode 2.
- Yujin Mikotoba (御琴羽 悠仁) - Susato's father and a legal professor. He serves as her assistant during the first case and appears in later cases.
- Seishiro Jigoku (慈獄 政士郎) - A judge from Japan who presides over the first case, and appears in later cases.
- Mael Stronghart (ハート・ヴォルテックス)- The Chief Justice in England. Strict about time.
- Tobias Gregson (トバイアス・グレグソン) - A Scotland Yard detective, and the detective in charge of several of Naruhodo's cases.
- Gina Lestrade (ジーナ・レストレード) - Defendant of The Adventure of the Unspeakable Story. Former pickpocket, now works under Gregson as a detective-in-training.
- Toby (トビー) - Gina Lestrade's pet dog, who is affectionately referred to as Inspector Toby.
- Masked Apprentice (従者) - The prosecutor for Barok van Zieks's trial.
- Genshin Asogi (亜双義 玄真)- Kazuma Asogi's deceased father, and a recurring background character involved with Barok van Zieks.
- Klint van Zieks - Barok van Zieks's deceased older brother.
- Jezaille Brett (ジェゼール・ブレット) - The victim. She was due to be extradited to Shanghai for a crime she committed nine months prior.
- Rei Membami (村雨 葉織) - The defendant of episode 1, accused of murdering an English woman in a beach house.
- Satoru Hosonaga (細長悟) - A witness from The Adventure of the Great Departure who witnessed the murder.
- Taketsuchi Auchi (亜内 武土) - A Japanese prosecutor. Ancestor of Winston Payne and Gaspen Payne.
- Raiten Menimemo - A reporter accompanying Soseki Natsume who's constantly taking pictures and writing on a notepad.
- William Shamspeare - The survivor of an attempted poisoning who accuses Soseki Natsume of the deed.
- Adron B. Metermann - A witness known for arguing with the victim. Natsume served tea to the two of them during one such argument, and allegedly poisoned the victim. He is spotted trying to peer into the apartment where the incident occurred.
- Olive Green - The victim of The Adventure of the Clouded Kokoro, having awakened from her coma. She is an art student at Thorndyke University with a gloomy personality.
- John Garrideb - Owner of Natsume's and Shamspeare's flats.
- Quinby Altamont (アルタモント夫人 ) - Juror No. 4 of the trial and wife of the president of the Altamont Gas company.
- Duncan Ross - Previous tenant of Natsume's flat, and Green's fiancé who died prior to Green's attempted murder.
- Selden - A criminal who died in jail and stole a thousands pounds worth of treasure. Tenant of Natsume's flat before Ross.
- Albert Harebrayne - The defendant, a scientist accused of murdering his volunteer.
- Esmeralda Tusspells - A famous wax sculptor, member of the Tusspells family, and curator of the new wax museum.
- Gotts - A young Bohemian boy present at the crime scene.
- Odie Asman - The victim, a volunteer and investor of Harebrayne's experiment and collaborator of his research.
- Balthazar Lune - Owner of the hot air balloons being used at the fair.
- Enoch Drebber - A mechanic who makes magic look like science. He built Harebrayne's teleporter.
- Courtney Sithe - The recently made head coroner of Scotland Yard.
- Maria Gorey - Sithe's daughter. Works with her mother at the forefront of forensic science.
Episodes 4 and 5:
- Evie Vigil - Juror No. 2 of Harebrayne's trial. She has come to Sholmes to find her husband who ran away.
- Daley Vigil - Evie's husband who ran away. Was chief jailer of the Barclay Prison a decade ago.
- Barry Caidin - The governor of Barclay Prison.
- "Venus", "Gossip", and "Sandwich" - Three street vendors.
- Fabien de Rousseau and Peppino de Rossi - Two European nobles and members of the Red-Headed League, a scam group Gregson was investigating.
- Tchikin Strogenov - A sailor on-board the SS Grouse.
The gameplay is mostly identical to Adventures, due to being directly designed as a "Part 2". The fingerprint dusting mechanic from previous Ace Attorney titles returns in this game during the events of The Memoirs of the Clouded Kokoro, but otherwise there are no notable differences in gameplay.
People who pre-ordered the game received two non-canonical scenarios similar to the Asinine Attorney / Ace Attorney Theater scenarios in Spirit of Justice, Asinine Attorney: Japan and Asinine Attorney: England.
Alternate costumes for Ryunosuke Naruhodo, Susato Mikotoba, and Herlock Sholmes are also available for purchase. Naruhodo and Mikotoba have Western-inspired costumes designed by Wilson, and Sholmes has a self-designed Eastern-inspired costume.
- Resolve is the first game in the series to reuse a previous game's Objection!, Cross-Examination, and Pursuit themes.
- Resolve is the first game in the series to feature both culprits and victims who debuted in a previous installment. In fact, the number of culprits who debuted in this game are outnumbered by culprits who were returnees from Adventures.
- Announcement teaser trailer
- Nintendo Direct (April 13, 2017)
- April 2017 trailer