|This article contains information about Ace Attorney media that has been released only in Japan.|
The information in this article comes from a game, demo, or other media that has been released in Japan, but not in any predominantly English-speaking country. The subject of this article has been officially revealed for English versions of this media. English versions of this content are only available through unofficial translations. More information on this can be found here.
If you have personal experience with the item of media in question, you can help the Ace Attorney Wiki by improving on this article. Please heed the manual of style when adding information.
The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve (大逆転裁判２ -成歩堂龍ノ介の覺悟-; lit. "Great Turnabout Trial 2: The Resolve of Ryūnosuke Naruhodō") is the eleventh installment of the Ace Attorney series of text adventure video games, originally released on the Nintendo 3DS in 2017. It is the second half of The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles for PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and PC, being the sequel to The Great Ace Attorney: Adventures. Like its predecessor, it is published by Capcom, produced by Motohide Eshiro, and directed by Shu Takumi, with Kazuya Nuri heading art and Yasumasa Kitagawa composing a large portion of the soundtrack.
Five full-length episodes are available in the game. Additionally, like Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice, there are two short semi-canonical "what-if" scenarios available to those who pre-ordered the game. Instead of following the "The Adventure of..." naming scheme of the first game (which only the first case does), this game's episode naming scheme is based on the titles of the Sherlock Holmes short story compilations (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Memoirs..., The Return..., and His Last Bow).
- The Adventure of the Blossoming Attorney (弁護少女の覚醒と冒險; lit. "The Adventure and Awakening of the Maiden Attorney"): Two months after Susato Mikotoba's return to Japan following the events of The Adventure of the Unspeakable Story, one of her friends is put on trial for a murder that occurred at a beach house. She takes the defense's bench disguised as "Ryutaro Naruhodo" (成歩堂 龍太郎).
- The Memoirs of the Clouded Kokoro (吾輩と霧の夜の回想; lit. "The Memoir of the Foggy Night and I"): The day after his trial for the attempted murder of Viridian Green, Soseki Natsume is accused of murder once again when a fellow lodger is fatally poisoned. Herlock Sholmes takes interest in the case due to Natsume's insistence that the apartment is cursed. Ryunosuke Naruhodo takes the case to court against Prosecutor Barok van Zieks.
- The Return of the Great Departed Soul (未来科学と亡霊の帰還; lit. "The Science of the Future and the Return of the Ghost"): During London's World Fair, German scientist Albert Harebrayne is arrested when his experiment, a teleporter, ends up exploding, killing the man inside. Mael Stronghart has Ryunosuke Naruhodo investigate. Meanwhile, during a visit to a recently erected waxworks museum, a figure made by a famous sculptor is stolen.
- Twisted Karma and His Last Bow (ねじれた男と最後の挨拶; lit. "The Twisted Man and his Last Greeting"): While investigating a runaway husband and a scam group, detective Tobias Gregson is found dead and Barok van Zieks is arrested for his murder. Ryunosuke Naruhodo defends van Zieks against a familiar face.
- The Resolve of Ryunosuke Naruhodo (成歩堂龍ノ介の覺悟): A continuation of Twisted Karma and His Last Bow, the truth of the case that resulted in Gregson's death is brought to light along with a past case that deeply affected van Zieks, Asogi, and the whole British Empire. Mael Stronghart takes over as judge in this episode, and there is no jury.
Ace Attorney Theater
- Asinine Attorney: Japan: Kazuma Asogi is the main playable character in a scenario involving Ryunosuke Naruhodo. Asogi is preparing to study abroad and faces off against Taketsuchi Auchi.
- Asinine Attorney: England: Herlock Sholmes is the main playable character in a scenario involving Barok van Zieks. Iris Wilson is arrested, so Sholmes acts as her defense attorney with Naruhodo as his assistant.
Due to being directly designed as a "Part 2" to Adventures rather than a standalone story, Resolve technically breaks some previously held conventions about the Ace Attorney franchise, most of which hinge on Resolve being a separate game. Some characters who appeared in Adventures become victims or culprits in Resolve. Judges, usually highly visible but minor characters who have little impact on the overall story, are more involved in the story of Resolve.
- Because the official English localization has yet to be released, many names in this section are non-Japanese and written out in katakana. English transliterations for these names are provided; names in italics are unofficial/speculative, while bolded names are either official or references to characters from the Sherlock Holmes stories.
- Ryunosuke Naruhodo (成歩堂 龍ノ介)
- Susato Mikotoba (御琴羽 寿沙都)
- Herlock Sholmes
- Iris Wilson (アイリス・ワトソン)
- Voiced by: Misaki Kuno (Japanese), Claire Morgan (English)
- Sholmes's assistant. A genius inventor and doctor who has invented rudimentary forensic instruments for use in Sholmes's investigations. She is the author of The Adventures of Herlock Sholmes. Takumi's familiarity with Arthur Conan Doyle's original Sherlock Holmes stories, and their various theories and parodies in particular, led him to create the Iris Wilson character.
- Barok van Zieks (バロック・バンジークス)
- Voiced by: Kenjiro Tsuda (Japanese), Robert Vernon (English)
- A "cursed" English prosecutor known colloquially as the "Grim Reaper of the Old Bailey".
Other main story characters
- Soseki Natsume (夏目漱石) - A defendant from The Adventure of the Clouded Kokoro. He is a witness in episode 1 and the defendant of episode 2.
- Yujin Mikotoba (御琴羽 悠仁) - Susato's father and a legal professor. He serves as her assistant during the first case and appears in later cases.
- Seishirou Jigoku - A judge from Japan who presides over the first case, and appears in later cases.
- Mael Stronghart - The Chief Justice in England. Strict about time.
- Tobias Gregson (トバイアス・グレグソン) - A Scotland Yard detective, and the detective in charge of several of Naruhodo's cases.
- Gina Lestrade (ジーナ・レストレード) - Defendant of The Adventure of the Unspeakable Story. Former pickpocket, now works under Gregson as a detective-in-training.
- Toby - Gina Lestrade's pet dog, and is affectionately referred to as Inspector Toby.
- Masked Apprentice - The prosecutor for Barok van Zieks's trial.
- Genshin Asogi - Kazuma Asogi's deceased father, and a recurring background character involved with Barok van Zieks.
- Klimt van Zieks - Barok van Zieks' deceased older brother.
- Jezaille Brett (ジェゼール・ブレット) - The victim. She was due to be extradited to Shanghai for a crime she committed nine months prior.
- Rei Membami (村雨 葉織) - The defendant of episode 1, accused of murdering an English woman in a beach house.
- Satoru Hosonaga (細長悟) - A witness from The Adventure of the Great Departure who witnessed the murder.
- Taketsuchi Auchi - A Japanese prosecutor. Ancestor of Winston Payne and Gaspen Payne.
- Heita Mamemomi - A reporter accompanying Soseki Natsume who's constantly taking pictures and writing on a notepad.
- William Shamspeare - The survivor of an attempted poisoning who accuses Soseki Natsume of the deed.
- Decargo Mieterman - A witness known for arguing with the victim. Natsume served tea to the two of them during one such argument, and allegedly poisoned the victim. He is spotted trying to peer into the apartment where the incident occurred.
- Viridian Green - The victim of The Adventure of the Clouded Kokoro, having awakened from her coma. She is an art student at Thorndyke University with a gloomy personality.
- John Garrideb - Owner of Natsume's and Shamspeare's flats.
- Mrs. Altamont (アルタモント夫人 ) - Juror No. 4 of the trial and wife of the president of the Altamont Gas company.
- Duncan Ross - Previous tenant of Natsume's flat, and Green's fiance who died prior to Green's attempted murder.
- Selden - A criminal who died in jail and stole a thousands pounds worth of treasure. Tenant of Natsume's flat before Ross.
- Albert Harebrayne - Defendant of episode 3, a scientist accused of murdering his volunteer.
- Esmeralda Tusspells - A famous wax sculptor, member of the Tusspells family, and curator of the new wax museum.
- Gotts - A young Bohemian boy present at the crime scene.
- Odie Asman - The victim of the episode. Volunteer and investor of Harebrayne's experiment and collaborator of his research. There's some black rumor about him.
- Rumba Marmatch - Owner of the hot air balloons being used at the fair.
- Enoch Drebber - A mechanic who makes magic look like science. He built Harebrayne's teleporter.
- Courtney Sithe - The recently made head coroner of Scotland Yard.
- Maria Goulloyne - Sithe's daughter. Works with her mother at the forefront of forensic science.
Episodes 4 and 5:
- Anna Mittlemont - Juror No. 2 of Harebrayne's trial. She has come to Sholmes to find her husband who ran away.
- Everyday Mittlemont - Anna's husband who ran away. Was chief jailer of the Berkly Prison a decade ago.
- Harry Barricade - Head of Berkly Prison.
- "Venus", "Gossip", and "Sandwich" - Three street vendors.
- Maurice de Quilco and Marco di Gicho - Two European nobles and members of the Red-Headed League, a scam group Gregson was investigating.
- Tchikin Strogenov - A sailor on-board the SS Barabrook.
People who pre-ordered the game received two non-canonical scenarios similar to the Asinine Attorney / Ace Attorney Theater scenarios in Spirit of Justice.
Alternate costumes for Ryunosuke Naruhodo, Susato Mikotoba, and Herlock Sholmes are also available for purchase. Naruhodo and Mikotoba have Western-inspired costumes designed by Wilson, and Sholmes has a self-designed Eastern-inspired costume.
- Brian (2021-04-22). Ace Attorney Turnabout Collection will be sold physically in Japan. Nintendo Everything. Retrieved 2021-04-25.
- Romano, Sal (2021-02-13). "Taiwan ratings – The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles for PS4, Switch, and PC; Tales from the Borderlands for Switch; more New Ace Attorney for 3DS set in Meiji era Japan". Gematsu. Retrieved on 2021-02-16.
- "Twitter / takumi_gt: ともあれ。おなじみの“巨匠”ヌリくん、“名匠”キタガワさんをはじめチーム一同、今回も最後まで全力でクオリティを追求する所存でございます。 ぼく自身も、クラシックミステリーへの限りないリスペクトと新しい挑戦をムネに、最後までがんばります。". Twitter. 2016-09-17. Retrieved 2016-09-17.
- Epps, De'Angelo (2021-06-05). Capcom’s quest to translate The Great Ace Attorney for Western audiences. Polygon. Retrieved on 2021-06-13.
- Announcement teaser trailer
- Nintendo Direct (April 13, 2017)
- April 2017 trailer