||Image Gallery||Sprite Gallery|
|We need more pieces to finish this puzzle.|
|This article is under construction. While it is not short, it still needs expansion as outlined in the manual of style. The article most likely needs expansion near the end of the tagged section or sections.|
|You gotta do more than just understand to make it. You'll learn, though. Even if the lesson comes at the end of your short life.|
Winfred "Big Wins" Kitaki is the father of Wocky Kitaki and the fourth and current leader of the Kitaki family. Recently, he has had a change of heart, and instead aims to run an honest business for his son's sake.
A family man[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Turnabout Corner
"Big Wins" used to be a notorious crime boss who kept his family wealthy and powerful. All this changed when his only son, Wocky, was shot in an altercation with the Rivales family and almost died. This served as a wake-up call for the worried father, who decided to try and go straight by opening a muffin bakery. He did this because he wanted to remove his family from the criminal world, since it was that life that had almost killed his son. His first task was to pay for the operation to remove the bullet in his son with legally-earned money, hence the bakery. Wocky, not knowing his father's motives, was aghast at this "betrayal" of his family traditions. However, after finding out the truth, he joined his father's bakery, with a few ideas of his own.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Winfred is a stern, but level-headed man who is very protective of his family. Although he and Wocky often did not get along, he still deeply cared for son, even choosing to leave his life in organized crime behind and instead earn money legally to pay for his son's surgery.
Name[edit | edit source]
- The surname "Kitaki" (北木) literally means "north tree", but the family is also visually linked to "kitsune", the Japanese word for fox and a common subject of Japanese folklore.
- His Japanese given name, "Tsunekatsu" (常勝), possibly comes from the phrase "tsune ni katsu" meaning "always wins". The kanji 常勝 means "invincible".
- "Winfred" was likely chosen in order to give him the nickname "Big Wins", which in turn comes from his Japanese given name.
- His French nickname, "Gros Gains", has roughly the same meaning as his English one.
- "Malloppo" means "loot" or "load" in Italian.
Development[edit | edit source]
- He at first appears to have very menacing, deep-set eyes, but later in the game it is revealed that these are just extremely thick eyebrows. This may be a reference to Don Vito Corleone from The Godfather, whose eyes were very shaded in many promotional images.
- Winfred Kitaki's apron sports a cartoon fox's head wearing a leaf. Along with the surname Kitaki, this is a reference to "kitsune", the Japanese word for fox and a common subject of Japanese folklore. In such tales, the foxes are able to take on human shape (usually beautiful women) by placing reeds, a broad leaf, or a skull over its head. The fox on the apron even seems to have long eyelashes, indicating that it is supposed to be female.
- Winfred is the only character from the main games to have his name changed in the Italian version.
|Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney characters|
Bad Badger · Guy Eldoon · Maya Fey · Klavier Gavin · Kristoph Gavin · Hickfield · Judge · Apollo Justice · Plum Kitaki · Winfred Kitaki · Wocky Kitaki · Pal Meraktis · Nickel Samurai · Pink Princess · Ema Skye · Spoon · Steel Samurai · Wesley Stickler · Alita Tiala · Phoenix Wright · Trucy Wright
Spark Brushel · Daryan Crescend · (Guy Eldoon) · Klavier Gavin · Kristoph Gavin · Magnifi Gramarye · Thalassa Gramarye · Valant Gramarye · Zak Gramarye · Dick Gumshoe · Judge · Apollo Justice · (Plum Kitaki) · (Winfred Kitaki) · (Wocky Kitaki) · Mike Meekins · Drew Misham · Vera Misham · (Olga Orly) · Ema Skye · (Wesley Stickler) · Phoenix Wright · Trucy Wright